Monday, October 5, 2009

E is for Effort

This afternoon at a business lunch my boss, a motherly sort, asked me whether I had any romantic prospects. "No," I said, quite emphatically. "Not even someone who interests you from afar?" She asked. "Not even," I said.

So there you have it, the fascinating, whirlwind life of a single girl in the Napa Valley. Oh and Ryan? He didn't show at the wine release party. I hadn't heard a peep from him since our last phone call, so I wasn't surprised. And now that I think about it, I really didn't care that he didn't bother to show (or call)--must have something to do with, I don't know, not being interested. Mostly I'm amazed. I don't think Ryan is being intentionally rude; I just think this is further sign of him not having his shit together.

And that, my friends, is one quality I can't live without--I don't care how tall, short, bald, handsome, charming you are. If you're over 33, you've got to make an effort with yourself, your life, other people. I'm not looking for perfection here, I'm just looking for effort. It's that simple.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Ruby!
    I agree that it's not about looks at all, but what the man is made of on the inside. And this one definitely doesn't have his shit together. Don't settle for a man who doesn't try hard to impress you now, because they try much harder in the beginning. If he can't make the smallest effort now, think of how he'll be in 3, 5, or even 10 years from now.

    ReplyDelete