Friday, October 2, 2009

Crash & Burn

I have not felt so awkward since high school--I swear!

Tonight at a major event (anything that draws 3000+ people in the Napa Valley is a major event) I screwed up the courage to talk to a guy. I'd seen him before--met him, even, under strange circumstances. Well, I walked up to him and said hi and didn't he know so and so? And then I referenced the strange circumstance, which he didn't remember, and the awkwardness only increased from there.

We were both clearly nervous, and either he thought I was cute, too, and was thrown for one gigantic loop, or he just has a hard time shooting the breeze with girls who find him attractive. I even asked him about one of the wines he was pouring, figuring that would put him at ease, and instead of extrapolating, as he easily could have done, he said, "Oh, that's a cab." Really?

I finally just walked away, basically. I probably said it was nice to meet him or something, I don't know.

Wow. I was equally the dork in this situation, but ... jeez. I'd forgotten it could be so bad! Chances are, he probably feels like an idiot.

2 comments:

  1. Poor Ruby! Hey, there will be other parties...maybe you two will meet again and one of you can say, God, I felt so awkward last time! -- You can also think of a Plan B for the next time you're in this situation, something to say that gets the stress out of the situation. Just keep going to those parties....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mimi! I'll keep on keeping on. The parties are easy--it's finding the men I actually want to talk to that's difficult. (And, apparently, having a successful conversation isn't as easy as one would think.) This sounds arrogant, but really I'm just an introvert. ;)

    ReplyDelete