Thursday, October 8, 2009

E is Also for Epiphany

I read back over my last post and found the tone rather ... terse and angsty. Since I am not a terse or angsty person in general, I chalk it up to a stressful time at work. The entry was truth, of course, but I'd like to think a gentler, more gracious version of that post would better reflect me.

Whatever. You're not here to judge. (And if you are, have at it. ;))

Anyway, I've been patting myself on the back these last few months for making women friends right and left. This is where the epiphany comes in: making friends is just like dating. (Minus the sex.) I know--revolutionary!

Once upon most of my life, I made friends with those who I knew were good as gold, in it for the long haul. Seriously. I didn't do "acquaintanceships." I didn't know how to do them! And then suddenly, a few months ago, I broke up with my boyfriend and began making casual friends. I don't know what changed, but it's great!

We call each other when we want to, make plans when we want to, and if one or the other of us falls off the radar, no harm done. I like it, and I wish I had managed this before.

My hope is, of course, that I will be able to carry this devil-may-care attitude into dating: enjoy the men I like and not worry about long-term results. It's a good way to get to know someone, you know? One of my current friends, for example, drove me a little nuts at first--but now, I've been able to put her quirks into context and I find that I really enjoy her genuine-ness and creativity. Who cares if she can be a little intense? (And another friend's darker side has started to emerge, and I am not so sure that our friendship will go the distance.)

So this is my plan: get to know lots of men and enjoy myself before narrowing in on one. This is an investment of time--and money. Because remember, I live in a small, beautiful corner of the globe and cannot meet these interesting, wonderful men on my own.

Which is why (and this is The Big Reveal) I am heading back to Match.com. And I am going all in, too. I've lined up a photographer (she takes great, natural portraits) and I have an appointment with Evan Marc Katz tomorrow so he can help me polish my profile. (Not embellish, but help me focus on the attributes and interests that truly reflect me. My old profile is one big snoozer--thank goodness it hasn't been up in years!) I figure that if I am going to do this thing yet again, I have to put my best foot forward.

As I was telling someone the other day, my youth is one of my more salable points. I'll always be intelligent, funny, kind, yadda ya, but I'll be 33 for just a few more months. From what I hear (over and over again) it only gets harder the older you get. So.

Here goes.

2 comments:

  1. Post your profile text on your 'blog and get advice for free: that's what I do...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good comparison, between "dating" our friends and dating guys.

    I was just talking to someone about this last night: I have a friend I'm tempted to "break up" with, because she tends to be negative and a bit annoying at times -- then I remember the fun, early days, and think that maybe I'll hold out for just a little longer...

    In addition to Match, have you ever tried Nerve.com? I've liked that one in the past, might try it again.

    ReplyDelete