Sunday, September 13, 2009

Someone Interesting

Wouldn't you know it, I did meet someone interesting yesterday. Of course, meeting someone interesting and having it stick are two very different things.

This Someone Interesting (SI) was one of several guys who were in genuine lederhosen. I can see you're surprised by that. You wouldn't think I would be attracted to a guy in lederhosen, would you. Well, SI also had a sparkling sense of humor and took an obvious shine to me. He had me laughing so hard I couldn't speak.

He wandered away (I think a bratwurst on the grill was calling his name) and I really didn't think anything more of him until one of his friends said, "SI is sure going to be bummed when you leave."

"Really? It looks like he's having a good time." I gestured to SI, who was chatting with a toothy brunette. His friend didn't have much of a response and said only, "I don't know who that is."

Well, awhile later I was ready to head out. I bid my adieus here and there and passed SI on my way out. He was indeed disappointed to see me leaving (never mind that the brunette was beaming there at his elbow) and when he hugged me he said, "Ruby, Ruby" and then laughed nervously and said he was stuttering. (Oh, those many steins of good German beer!)

Later my friend asked me if he'd gotten my number. I was surprised at this and said, "Uh, no ...?" (I suspect that SI must've said something about me when I wasn't around. Everyone seemed so confident in his interest!) I told her that I really didn't think he was all that interested. After all, he'd been talking to that toothy brunette for hours! She shrugged, "That's just where he ended up."

Isn't it funny how that is? Well, I'm here to say (to both men and women) that if someone really sparks your interest, be sure you don't end up with someone else. For all I know, SI may have been most interested in the brunette, but my feminine instinct tells me that she'd just made herself convenient and he'd hoped to circle back. Little did he know how soon the time would run out.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. SI lives in Southern California.

But as my friend and I were driving back to the Napa Valley I mused that I'd really like to live in San Francisco one day. And, in the meantime, perhaps dive into the social scene. The city is an hour away from where I live, so it isn't terribly close (or terribly far). Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment