Wednesday, September 9, 2009

"Ironic. Frickin' ironic!"

This is what I whispered to myself midday as I walked back to my car after bumping into Bill. I'd been in St. Helena for work-related reasons, visiting a few merchants in town. I had this wild hope of running into TOTGA--who I never run into and who I, of course, did not run into today. You really would think, wouldn't you, that in this itty-bitty town of 5,500 some-odd souls, I'd bump into the guy. But, no, the fates are not so kind.

Instead, as I was walking up the sidewalk who do I spy coming down the sidewalk but Bill? I pretended not to see him and looked at a paper in my hand--not obvious at all. And then, to my shock, I saw him enter the very shop I was planning on going into.

Crap. Of course I walked in and said hello and waved again when he very quickly left. So I wanted to see one guy but saw the other guy instead. This is the story of the last 12 months. The story of small-town life. (And it doesn't help that TOTGA hides under rocks--or in the arms of a crazy new girlfriend. Who knows?)

I haven't heard from Ryan, and that's all well and good. Tonight I had drinks with a friend who is launching herself into a City with the hopes of (in addition to having a new, fabulous life) shaking things up a bit man-wise. I have to say I'm envious. I already met one great guy in this town; can lightning strike twice? She, on the other hand, will have a huge population to sift through--which presents its own challenges but also a whole slew of opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment