Sunday, May 2, 2010

OK Cupid, Whatcha' Got?

Ladies and gentlemen, we can blame (thank?) Loverville. I am in the process of joining OKCupid. I must say, for a completely free site, it seems very well designed and easy to use. And maybe they're just trying to lure me in, but the guys listed look interesting. (Must be fake profiles, right?)

Anyway, let the adventures ensue. I'm definitely not getting anywhere by following my set routines here at home--even if those routines involve hanging out (occasionally) at the NV hotspots. (Yesterday at brunch this 60-something man, drunk on mimosas I suppose, asked me if I was with someone. The answer was, of course, yes--I didn't want the guy bothering me! This is what one deals with here. Old, drunk, horny men. Wonderful.)

I feel entirely unconfident about this latest online dating attempt, but what's a girl to do? Last weekend I visited a friend in SF on what happened to be a gorgeous, sunny day. Everyone was out picnicking with their friends and family. I don't know if it was a ticking of the biological clock or if it was just loneliness, but I wanted that: the friends, the chubby children, the barbecue. I think my girlfriends felt it, too: the slight sadness of witnessing strangers' happiness. (But on the flip side, we have no diapers to change and no husbands to pick up after, though I know there is joy in caring for someone else.)

3 comments:

  1. hah! i know exactly what you mean: sometimes i want to walk in central park w. Funny Guy just to show him off, to say to the world, "i've got one! not alone anymore!" -- of course, when you're alone & witnessing other people's togetherness, it's really comforting to hear their fights...particularly (as happened to me in my single days more than once) when you're walking behind a couple arguing and you know that their days are numbered and at least you're not in that situation....

    anyway, at this time of year everyone wants to couple. i'm a great believer, as you might have observed, in seasonal determinism, so i'm hoping the best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck, and keep us posted! I've had a few decent dates from that site lately, but I do know that NY is different from where you are...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, they're not all rubbish on OKCupid - I'm on OKCupid...!

    ReplyDelete