Sunday, April 18, 2010

New Job, New Dating Pool?

So sorry to vanish like that--I got wrapped up in the newness of the new job. (Yes, I am finally in the NV* industry! And though work is work, it's still awfully nice to drive up to a beautiful winery each morning.) So what happened with Crush? Before leaving my old job I asked around a bit and discovered that he probably has a live-in girlfriend. That took the wind out of my sails just a bit, because while having a girlfriend isn't the same as having a wife, I was not so taken with Crush that I felt compelled to swoop in and make some grand overture. But I did tell a coworker that if he ever mentioned interest in me to give him my phone number.

I'm the new kid on the block at the winery, which is just like being the new kid at school (remember?). Or maybe it's better because there aren't cliques to break into and bullying to watch out for--at least in the adult world these things are usually much more subtle than in elementary/high school. The single men are curious, but again, it's hard for me to tell which are single because of the absence of wedding rings. (That whole thing about not wanting to lose a finger--which is valid in this business.) I don't really want to date where I work, but the Valley is so small and the pickings are so slim ... I think I will have to rethink that rule.

I heard something funny last week--something I hadn't heard in my eight years of living here: "The Valley is BYOB. 'Bring Your Own Boyfriend.'" Oh cruel truth! (Although I have dated a lot here, I must say. Rather indiscriminately at first, but I was merely a late bloomer, trying to figure out what I wanted.)

So what I need to do is step it up, socially speaking. I need to get out more, smile more, show more interest and friendliness. I, being tall and a watchful sort, am not the most approachable chica on the block. I also need to step up the exercise program--ahem.

The things we do to not be solo for ever and ever.

*NV is shorthand for, you know, the name of this valley. I don't want to spell it out since I'll then pop up in Google Alerts and risk exposure. Scary stuff.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the new job -- can't wait to hear more!

    And YES, getting out there will definitely help! Have you tried speed dating?

    ReplyDelete