Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Cruel cupid!

Dear blogging world, dear confidants, dear lurkers (you, especially): What would you do?

Remember Crush, that brief flash of light in my dark, practical life? Well, I'd all but forgotten about him. In fact, yesterday I was considering writing a post about how I just can't do crushes like I could in my teen years. They just don't have staying power these days! And then today he stopped by my office. (dun dun DUN!)

Let me backtrack: though Crush and I have spoken on the phone and though we have seen each other in passing, we actually have never met face to face. Why? It seems like we're always conducting business with other people when we see each other. Plus, now that I think about it, we really haven't seen each other since we've been talking on the phone. (Sadly, these phone chats have been business related, though I have been very friendly on these calls.) Yesterday I called him and left a message letting him know I had one last issue to discuss with him--and I let him know that Friday is my last day at work. I thought it was unusual that he didn't return my call ...

And what happens but I return from a very late lunch and the executive assistant says, all wide-eyed and giggly when I walk in the door, "Crush was here!" It look me a full minute to realize she wasn't talking about last summer's intern.

Apparently the EA said, "Oooh! Crush!" when he introduced himself and he said, "You've heard my name?" And EA, a motherly sort, said she'd just heard me mention his name in reference to our projects. Nice. Real smooth.

Apparently Crush lingered, as if hoping I'd return. Apparently he was wearing a great cologne.

So I called him back straight away to discuss this project issue that needed discussing. But I didn't have my wits about me; didn't suggest we meet so I could show him what I meant. I talked too fast and didn't realize his monosyllabic responses were likely from nervousness until later.

Dammit.

How is it that someone in her 30s could be so clueless? I, of course, have to call him back tomorrow and think up some lame-ass excuse to do so. You would call him, wouldn't you? And maybe some of the ballsier among you would ask him out. I might do that, depending. (I have just had a beer, so feel courageous.)

I could be reading this all wrong. My coworkers don't think he's married, but peoplefinders.com has someone on his associated people list that is suspicious--either a sister or wife. I don't have the time to ask around about him, though. I have Thursday and Friday.

So given the confusion about him marital status, would you call him tomorrow with some flimsy question? Would you ask him out? (My married friends would, but they are safely married, living vicariously through my single foolishness.) Do you think I am reading too much into the sudden visit to the office, the lingering, the cologne?

Gah, you know? If only I had been at the office when he came by!



3 comments:

  1. You have nothing to lose -- YES, call him back with any old question! And yes, somehow mention that you should discuss that over a drink. You'll find out soon enough if he's married / involved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another person who knows how to use peoplefinders.com! Incredibly useful, isn't it? and many people think you have to pay, but that's not the case: the basic demographic info is all free. -- Yeah, there's nothing like web research to supplement romance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i would suggest not calling on flimsy pretenses: i would write an email saying you'd enjoyed working together (assuming your work together is now done), and saying you hope to stay in touch, and providing your personal information (i'm guessing your work info will change?) my two cents. and i'm never there when the opportunity is so suffer from these same kinds of dilemmas. then again, i'd much prefer to hear the story of what happens when you call and ask him out!

    ReplyDelete