Sunday, July 18, 2010

Near Misses

Well, Trouble (of the previous entry) has a long-term girlfriend. She's super cool and lovely and around her, he was studiously not flirty--just friendly. Trouble, you need to dial back the flirt when your cool, lovely girlfriend isn't around! To be fair, he hasn't been inappropriate but his flirtatiousness didn't lead me to believe he had a girlfriend. Anyhoo, now I know.

The paired and married men at work think it's a mystery that I'm single. In their eyes I see a glint of, "I'd date her if I weren't with my wonderful wife/girlfriend." But would they? No, I don't think so. They, in their married/coupledness just feel secure.

Last night's party at the winery was first class. I wish I could tell you about it ... But since I can't, I will tell you about C. C does contract work for us, and nearly from the beginning I've sensed strong mutual attraction--never mind that he's a good deal shorter than me. (Jeez. Why does this happen?) I didn't expect C to be at the party, but there he was, and I was thrilled to see him. We didn't really have a chance to talk until the after party, when we grabbed drinks and shouted at each other over the thumping bass.

And here I confess that I have resigned myself to a Type: the sensitive, somewhat shy guy. I suppose, too, that these kinds of men like me, because I can be so vibrant and exciting around them (whereas guys who are the center of attention steal the show and there's no reason for me to reveal my fabulousness).

So, that's C: somewhat shy, sensitive, artistic, short. We were standing there, talking (shouting) and before I knew it, we were talking about our ages (he's four years younger), dating and marriage. To be clear, marriage came up in terms of parental pressures ... still. There was a lot of arm touching going on throughout. He ended up having to leave long before he wanted to.

Here's the thing: C doesn't strike me as a particularly motivated guy, and I want a motivated guy. Am I being too picky? Hey, I have nothing against shorter men, at least.

After C left, another guy (who I had been working with all evening) asked me if I was into Burning Man. Um, no. I could see the words, "Would you like to go out sometime?" forming on his lips, but I didn't encourage him, so he didn't ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment