Thursday, July 1, 2010

How Ruby Got Her Groove Back

(Oops. This post accidently published sans text, so if you came here a few minutes ago only to find nothing ... sorry!)

Well, whether I really have my groove back (if I ever had it in the first place) is yet to be determined. Optimism never hurt, I say, so let's just go with the best case scenario, shall we? I have gotten my groove back!

I spent last weekend in Southern California--that part of the state that we Northern Californians turn up our noses at. The traffic, the smog, the silicone, the celebrity mania! Who could love it? Well, I do. (I still don't know if I can handle the traffic.) I had the best time with my friend hashing over Man Issues and Single Issues and Ack-We're-in-Our-Mid-Thirties (tick tock!) Issues. We ate very well and drank too much. We walked a lot, saw celebs, ran stairs ... it was the best!

Part of the greatness was the sheer number of people my age. It was incredible! Even flying down I sat by handsome men (both coming and going)--that never happens!

So I returned to the sleepy, beautiful NV and decided that I am of a certain age and while I am not overweight, I could use some toning and slimming--and this won't happen by magic. Drastic measures needed to be taken.

Tuesday morning I hit the pavement at 5:30 a.m. Yes, that's right: I, who loooove to sleep in, got up 50 minutes early in hopes of whittling away at the thighs and hips. And get this: I met a cute guy. Sort of.

It stands to reason that I meet/see a handsome man on the morning when I roll out of bed, pull on exercise clothes and don't even wash my face or comb my hair because, Aw, screw it. I'm not going to see anyone.

There I am, walking briskly along the side of the road when I hear approaching footsteps behind me. It occurs to me that I am not wearing the right underwear with my Nike pants. (Am I the only one who thinks about these things? As evidenced by pantylines across the nation, some of us don't think about this enough!) I wait until the ambitious runner is next to me and look over and ... Why again didn't I freshen up a bit?

He flashed me a big smile and on he went, all tall and athletic and interesting. I saw him later as I was returning to my neighborhood. In fact we waved and said good morning before I shyly dashed up my sidewalk. (He clearly wanted to chat. But the hair, the face, the pantylines! Is it any wonder I'm single?) That was Tuesday morning.

Wednesday morning I went into work late and so exercised about an hour late. No sign of my hunky neighbor, of course.

This morning, I dragged my carcass from bed, washed the face, combed the hair, wore suitable clothing and didn't see Hunky Neighbor until I had returned from my walk. A car slowed, a window rolled down and he flashed me a brilliant smile. I said, "Good morning!" and darted.

I know, more of the darting. I bet you anything Hunky Neighbor will bump into me tomorrow morning and that names will be exchanged, at the very least. He strikes me as the sort of guy who enjoys the chase (hence my darting--I do feel cautious), so my behavior, though silly, isn't all bad.

Anyway, here's to a slimmer, more toned me. That I may get a date out of this new fitness regime before the results have taken hold is encouraging!

3 comments:

  1. The Moral Is:

    ** if you are single & in hunting mode, Do Not Leave your house w/out looking good enough to meet someone -- Ever. **

    [Hey & i'm also wondering: is it safe to fast-walk along empty roads, or were you in a neighborhood w. lots of houses?]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time, don't run AWAY from him! Do keep us posted!

    Very impressed -- a 5:30 am run -- wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mimi: That's so true! Rule now instated, come what early hour may. :) The road isn't entirely desolate--in fact, there's a very busy road running just parallel. I feel very visible and safe.

    LV: Thanks! Will do. Now preparing self for tomorrow's early alarm and the possibility of running into Hunky Neighbor ...

    ReplyDelete