Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Keep Your Cool

*fans self*

I'm just home form my first date with TG. We met for a drink at a new restaurant in town. I was so freakin' nervous I could hardly focus at work today. (I know, what am I, 16? But I didn't date at 16, so this could be part of the problem.)

I was excited/nervous to meet him because: he's tall, cute and local--but not local in a douchey way. See, here's an insider's tip about the NV: the NV attracts a lot of young guys who love the wine world with their whole ego. They love the lifestyle, they dream of wealth and fame, they love the wide-eyed women who are attracted to them because of the lifestyle and their closeness to wealth and fame … Yes, the NV is a hotbed of douchery.

But TG has lived here his whole life. He loves the outdoors. He feels bad about the guy who bought his house at the height of the housing market. He is not a douche--there's no pretense. He even drives a clunker because he and his brothers are working to rebuild the family business.

So on to the date itself: I think we were both nervous. So nervous that hopefully he doesn't remember anything stupid I may have said. Mainly I just remember those green eyes and bright smile. He reiterated what his profile said: that he's looking for a tall girl who lives here in the valley. TG is definitely values family and is looking for a partner--no one night stand guy here.

And the hug at the end (date kept to a wise one hour). You guys, this was the best hug I've ever experienced. For one thing, I was hugging a man far taller than me. (Remember, I'm 5'11"--he's over 6'6". I wore 3" heels.) For another, he squeezed me just perfectly--you know the kind of hug. I'm sure everyone around us were like, "Wow, look at that tall couple hugging." I don't care. It was awesome.

At our cars, he said he would love to take me to dinner sometime and asked me for my number. About 15 minutes after I got home, he texted to say again that it was good to meet me and that he would love to take me out for dinner soon. And, he said, I am even more beautiful in person. (This is lovely to hear--especially since I'm feeling particularly fat at the moment.)

I haven't texted back yet--I'm trying to play it coolish--but I will in a few moments. (screw "The Rules")  I think I tend to be a bit stand-offish so I think that wherever I can be "confidently warm" (as opposed to needy or some awful thing), it can't hurt. So I'll same something along the lines of definitely wanting to go out again and that that was the best hug ever. (Not weird, not needy--definitely encouraging, complimentary and a little flirty.)

Anyway, whew. After a lifetime of going on crappy first dates, it's nice to have one I'm excited about. Now the trick will be to keep my cool. I have the date with Mr. B Saturday and there's another guy from Oakland who wants to meet me. Between those guys, work and friends, there's plenty to keep me occupied.

No comments:

Post a Comment