Friday, February 11, 2011

A Little Something

Big thanks to Anon and Loverville whose recent comments have nudged me to write a new post. For the longest time (well, since Jan 7) there wasn't much to write about anyway, but now ... There might be something going on.

As usual, this situation is rife with all of the issues inherent to dating in a small dating pool. I met Mac when he started dating a woman in my friend group last summer. (She and I are friends, but not at all close. I like her fine; we just don't click in any huge way.) Mac and I hit it off hugely and whenever we saw each other at parties or events, we'd chatter away at each other and just have a great time. It was great because it was safe--he was my friend's boyfriend. Come to find out, he'd also dated my previous boss--see how small the pool is? No wonder I thought he looked familiar!

So now, they've broken up. And we've struck up a friendship--or something. Last week we met for dinner and drinks (he paid). Then we texted back and for a few days--innocuous stuff. Then he said it's important that we be careful--that it was too soon for him to be friends with one of his ex's friends. Then I spent the afternoon at his house last weekend, just sitting in the yard and eating sandwiches and talking. He seemed really nervous. This week we missed connecting a few times, and then today I stopped by his place for a few moments before he went away for the weekend.

Obviously there's not much to tell, except I think there's something there. I know, I can't jump to conclusions, and it's not like I'm brimming with hope or anything. Last December, back when he and my friend were dating, I'd just gotten my hair cut when I ran into them in town. She (the girlfriend) was talking to someone else and Mac said how great my hair looked. "You've got the whole package," he said with real feeling and then walked away. (Oh those emotional, artistic types!)

I wonder if he still thinks that's true or if that was just safety talking? You know how it is, safely married men and partnered men always going on about your attributes and what a perfect catch you are. I wonder--are they just confident in their pairedness? And are the single guys just chicken-shit?

Well, I've caught Mac looking at me like he still thinks I'm The Stuff. I think he might have that Single Guy Chicken-Shit thing going on, but I think he also wants to keep a good rapport with our friend group. I respect that. I can bide my time.

Except that this afternoon I so wanted to grab him. Et tu, dry spell?

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, do keep us posted! I have a feeling this is about to get interesting!

    ReplyDelete