Monday, September 12, 2011

The Missing Ring

Summer passed so quickly--a whirlwind. My friends have recently accused me of being a social butterfly (me? The Introvert?)--usually in slightly hurt tones, as if I haven't been attentive enough. It's true, in previous incarnations, I was available at a hat's drop--movie? drink? Sure! But now, my weeks must be planned out well in advance. It's not just Mac, it's everything: exercise, therapy (yes, I started that up--I know some of you are thinking, Finally!), Me Time, the many varied friends ... And Mac gets precedence with weekends and at least one week night devoted to him.

Well, I decided I needed to carve out some precious time for you dear people--mostly anonymous, but no less appreciated. I decided this about 10 minutes ago as I was loading dishes in the dishwasher. I decided I would write about how I was really happy with Mac, never mind our challenges and faults. I would say that we were six months in and in love and that, finally, I am with someone I can marry. And I thought I'd tell you all how we've talked about Marriage, off-handedly but in a very real way.

And then, suddenly, something in my brain clicked: there was that missing ring on the stand. (I figured the cat had knocked it off and it was irretrievably behind the furniture.) I remembered that he'd been by the jewelers today to give them an heirloom that he's selling .... I considered how I'd lent Mac the keys to my place today and how he'd been here when I got home. I dashed back to the bedroom and sure enough: the ring was back.

Eeeks, you guys! I half wish I wasn't such a detective, but mostly I am delighted that I am delighted. I don't think The Ask is imminent, but I know what I'll say when he does ask. For the first time in my life, at the ripe, old age of 35: I am ready.

2 comments:

  1. oh gosh...the suspense will be killing...let us know if Anything Happens. but in the meantime try to keep your mind off That subject.

    xx Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so happy to hear that things are fabulous -- I hear the giddiness in your writing voice! Do keep us posted!

    ~ LV

    ReplyDelete